Friday, June 15, 2012

An Ode to Kale

Happy Friday!

Growing up  (and well into college even) I was notorious for being a picky eater.  I'm not just talking about being a picky eater about the weird stuff, but everything.  I hardly ate anything that had meat, vegetables or fruit on it.  The only vegetables I ate were potatoes and corn and the only fruit I would eat were bananas.

I'm pretty sure that 15 year old me or even 19 year old me would not believe that I eat half of the things that I eat now.  Fruit smoothies, salads, onions, garlic, peas, peppers, strawberries, raspberries, sweet potatoes... all things that I never thought I would eat.

This summer is the first time that I've ever tried kale.  I didn't think I was going to do a lot with kale when I planted it in April.  I thought I'd try a dish here and there, but not be crazy about it.  Well, let me tell you I have to say I've grown quite fond of this leafy green.  And to say that it's doing well in our garden would be an understatement.  It's thriving and we have so much of it that I have to keep finding things to make with it.  I even got a compliment from a veteran gardener about how lovely my kale looked.

I've made some delicious things with kale that I can't wait to share with you.  I'm trying to come up with lots of ways to use it because I'm not sure how well it will hold up if I just blanch and freeze it.  Do you have any must try recipes that incorporate kale?  



No comments:

Post a Comment