Monday, March 19, 2012

Planning for Planting



The weather in Bloomington has been so wonderful, and it feels like spring has finally sprung.  The trees are starting to show their leaves, and signs of rebirth are everywhere.  The yellow daffodils and pink magnolia trees are blooming in yards and along the roads all over town.  I have to keep reminding myself that it's only the middle of March.

Victoria and I started dreaming up what our garden will look like and what we are going to plant in it.  We both had vegetables that were must-haves on our lists (peppers, green beans and broccoli for me, tomatoes, kale and cilantro for Victoria) and others that we have waited to see if we will have enough room in our plot.  We ended up with a great selection that we are both going to be happy with.

We will be sowing all of our colder weather vegetables from seed. The hotter weather ones we are going to buy as plants from the Bloomington's Farmer's Market.  We will be planting lettuce, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots and kale from seed.  We will be buying tomatoes, peppers, basil, thyme, cilantro, sage and dill from plants.

I'm so excited to share with you the seed company that we are proud to support.  We bought all of our seeds from a local Bloomington seed company called Nature's Crossroads.  This company is a great place for Mid-West gardeners to purchase seeds from.  Nature's Crossroads was started by two gardeners that were frustrated in the spring when the only places to buy seeds from were either out on the West or East coast or mega-corporations that relied heavily on chemical products.  Nature's Crossroads seeds are a little more pricey ($2.49) than the ones you will find at Kroger or Lowe's, but they are worth the price to support a local company.  We purchased our seeds at Bloomingfoods.  Look at Nature's Crossroads website to see if there are any stores near you that sell their seeds, if not, you can always order them directly through them.  They are doing some pretty cool things, so check them out.

We are excited to be starting our gardening adventure!  Hope you follow us along the way.  I can't wait to share a garden inspired Pinterest project with you tomorrow.

What are you planting in your garden this spring?

2 comments:

  1. Hey! That's so exciting that you guys are having a plot! I just saw on your FB that you have a blog about gardening and had to come check it out. I've just recently gotten into gardening - last year was my first and I was happy but learned a lot and I hope this year will be even better! I am seriously loving this weather too! I just planted some broccoli, cabbage and peas in the ground and have 2 containers with a combination of thyme, rosemary, basil, lavender, mint and parsley. This is the first year I've done herbs so I'm looking forward to learning new recipes to use them in! Cilantro was super easy last year and sprouted right up this year from the coriander seeds I jokingly put in the dirt. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking it out! Glad to hear how easy cilantro is to grow... I can't wait to make cilantro lime rice (like Chipotle's) this summer.

      Delete