Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Kindness of Neighbors

I am loving this gardening community.  I love that I recognize faces and I'm starting to remember names of people that I see around the garden.  I have almost met all of my garden neighbors and I have to say I have some of the sweetest neighbors.  I spent some time talking with one lady and her daughter.  She has been gardening for 15 years at Willie Streeter Garden and she was telling me about all the pros and cons to community gardening.  She even started showing me what certain bugs look like.  (By the way, I hope the potato bug and potato beetle stay as far away from my plot as possible.  They leave some pretty nasty holes.)

We got to talking about plants that grow well in the community garden and which ones don't.  We spent awhile admiring her tomatillo plants and she gave me a whole armload of them when I was leaving.  She said that her absolute favorite part about gardening is sharing her fruits and vegetables with people.  I was so grateful for the time that we had spent talking.  And loved seeing her kindness.  She could have taken those tomatillos home or even given them to a friend instead of some girl that she had just met.


I can't wait to make something with these tomatillos and I will definitely share the recipe with you.  

What are you harvesting out of your garden these days?  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment