Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Community Garden Potluck

We had a community garden potluck at the beginning of May.  It was nice to share a meal and get to know some people.  I'm finding out that I'm surrounded by some very experience gardeners and I'm so happy that they are willing to share information and help me along the way.  I'm grateful for my garden neighbors that can tell me when my carrots need to be harvested and explain to me what bolting lettuce even means.

What struck me the most was that it was nice to be around people that see the benefit of gardening.  I still don't know a lot about the people that I get to share a community garden with, what I do know is that they see me.  They know that I am a Christian that cares about eating locally and feels like I can do my part to be help the earth.  Even though there are probably a lot of things that they probably don't agree with me on, this might be the first time that they have ever learned that Christians care about the planet and want to do something to repair it.

As the summer months continue it will be nice to see how friendships develop and how even though we all come from different walks of life, we all share a community garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment