Monday, April 2, 2012

Menu Monday: Red Pepper & Garlic Pita Chips


As I expressed last week, my hopes for Menu Monday is for it to become a post that will help all of us think creatively when it comes to feeding ourselves and our families with in season food.  Since, I don't have any garden loot to cook with yet, I thought I would post a fun healthy snack that is in season year round.

These pita chips are a snack food regular at our house.  They are quick, easy to make and delicious.  I use this pita bread recipe to make the actual bread.  When I don't have time or the ingredients, I just use pita bread from the store.

I use to think that there was no sense in making bread from scratch.  It looked daunting and quite honestly, I didn't think I had the time for it.  So, I kept buying loaves of bread from the store.  Then one day, this wonderful blog came into my life and showed me that making bread didn't have to be so scary.  If bread making still seems difficult, start with quick breads and work your way up.  Homemade bread tastes better and they don't have all the chemical preservatives that store bought bread has in it.  



Red Pepper & Garlic Pita Chips

Ingredients:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for brushing the pita chips
2 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tbsp Dried Italian Seasoning
1 Tbsp Garlic Salt 
1 tsp Cumin

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cut pita bread into triangles.  Spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Use a pastry brush to coat each chip with extra virgin olive oil.  Sprinkle spices over each chip.  These chips can be on the spicy side, so feel free to adjust the seasoning to your liking.  Bake for 7 minutes or until crispy.  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment